After a very long install time (about 2 hours, actually – surprisingly for the “new” Microsoft way) my Acer TravelMate notebook has been “successfully” upgraded (without any error messages) from Windows 8 to the recent 8.1 version (the update being available for free – that’s very good!)
Logging in to my user account for the first time (requiring more minutes while the computer was still “configuring a few things” – a few?! oh well…) I was shot in the head: no network connection was available anymore. Neither wired (Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet) nor wireless (Intel® Centrino®) connections were available anymore.
Device Manager was showing the two network adapters with warnings related to error “Code 12”, indicating that the devices “cannot find enough free resources” to be able to run. (Their drivers were reported as available, loaded, and up-to-date.)
After some Web searching, I found out nearly nothing, as most similar issues were for previous operating systems. However, there was one recent discussion which saved me: the provided solution was to disable the card reader device.
As soon as I did that (selecting Disable from the context menu of O2Micro item listed in Device Manager under PCMCIA adapters group), both network adapters started to work well! (And I can – at least temporarily – re-enable the card reader after the network starts, if I really need to use it.)