A few days ago, while on a long distance bus, wishing to continue reading a book I was interested in, I was really surprised to find out that Amazon Kindle didn’t start anymore on my Windows based tablet.
To resolved the issue I needed to upgrade the application to its latest version available on Amazon’s Web site. Fortunately, I did have an Internet connection there as the bus was following an European road and I had good signal on the cell phone, but otherwise I couldn’t continue reading – and that’s really bad for such a simple client side application. As a programmer, I just can’t imagine the reason for which the old version of the application didn’t start anymore until it was upgraded. (I did try logging off, restarting the computer, etc.; and before posting this article I have confirmed the behavior on a second computer.)